Bruce Frank Field Le Sueur
Posted on Jul 21, 2016
Bruce Frank Field, site of this year’s Minnesota
Division II State American Legion Baseball Tourna-
ment was named for Mr. Bruce Frank. Bruce was a
long-time football coach and Athletic Director, as
well as a baseball and basketball coach. The field has
been named in his honor since his retirement in the
The field however, has been the home of Le
Sueur baseball since 1947. After the Second World
War when the veterans returned home, there were
two amateur teams in town, The Merchants and the
Farmers. They played many memorable games be-
fore large crowds and a successful fund raising effort
brought a new park onto the existing site, complete
with a grandstand and lights.
The park has seen many changes over the years. In
the early 1950s infield grass was installed and in the
1970s volunteers replaced the canvas outfield fence
with chain link, the grandstand was condemned and
replaced by the Community Center next to the field.
The 1980s brought a new set of lights to the park and
the 1990s saw a new grandstand erected, a new set of
dugouts built and a new scoreboard installed. When
the football field was built in 1998, Bruce Frank Field
became a strictly ‘baseball only’ facility and the bat-
ter’s eye and current fencing was installed.
The third base dugout was moved back to improve
the sight lines from the seating area and a new con-
cession stand and storage shed were put up. In April
2005, a press box was built on top of the first base
dugout to give the radio announcers a comfortable
place to call the game.
At least 75 to 80 games of Amateur, High School,
American Legion, and seventh- ninth grade baseball
are played here each spring and summer. We are
proud of the improvements that have been made
and look forward to continued improvement while
maintaining this excellent facility.